The Tempest

Year
2013
Author
William Shakespeare
Abstract
Director’s Note: Welcome to this production of The Tempest at Union House. It has been a wonderful, slightly nostalgic project for me having graduated 21 years ago from this very place after having some formative experiences of my own in Melbourne University student theatre. What remains the same is the passionate immersion into the craft, the strong camaraderie and the depth of the relationships formed by the staff and students. It has been my distinct pleasure to work with Tom Gutteridge and an added bonus to get to direct him! Thanks for the faith and commitment Tom. To all the UHT staff: Erin, Gus, Drew and Clynton, the design team of Chris, Gabrielle, Ariana and Georgia and to the irrepressible SM Christa Jonathan, my heartfelt thanks. Ashlee Clapp, you are so talented and generous and it has been my pleasure to work with you and your team. Andy Hamblin, thanks for all of your creativity and talent. My thanks also to my friends and colleagues Kat Chan, Lisa Mibus and Esther-Marie Hayes for mentoring duties. To the actors, thank you for your energy and ideas, your original and inspiring offers and mostly for listening to all my stories about the late 80's early 90's, i.e., the days before you were born! Finally, great thanks and much respect to my colleagues and AD's Pete Blackburn and Sandra Polak whose work and support made everything easier and kept the ball rolling! Enjoy the play and the work of these wonderful young artists.   Matt Scholten, Director
Director
Matt Scholten
Designer
Gabrielle Lewis
Cast
Tom Gutteridge – Prospero Alexander Thom – Antonio Amelia Burke – Miranda Cara Greenham – Adrian Charlotte Salusinszky – Francisco Henry Shaw – Sebastian Olivia Wawryk – Juno Jess Kapuscinski-Evans – Captain Jess Newman – Trinculo Josiah Lulham – Stephano Katharine Gentry – Caliban Felicia King – Ariel Liam Bellman-Sharpe – Boatswain Pia Spreadborough – Iris/Mariner Rémy Chadwick – Ferdinand Rohan Byrne – Alonso Brendan McDougall – Gonzalo MUSICIANS: Liam Bellman-Sharpe – Guitar Ashlee Clapp – French Horn, Maschine and Percussion Meera Fernandes – Trumpet Jai Leeworthy – Keyboard and Trombone
Crew
Director – Matt Scholten Musical Director – Ashlee Clapp Set Designer – Gabrielle Lewis Mistress of Props – Georgia Marett Costume and Makeup Designer – Ariana Lim Lighting Designer – Chris Payne Choreographer – Andrew Hamblin Assistant Directors – Peter Blackburn and Sandra Polak Assistant Musical Director – Meera Fernandes Set Design Mentor – Kat Chan Lighting Design Mentor – Lisa Mibus Costume Design Mentor – Esther Hayes Composers – Liam Bellman-Sharpe, Ashlee Clapp, Meera Fernandes, Jess Keefe, Jai Leeworthy, Jess Newman Production Manager – Gus Macdonald Head Technician – Clynton Jones Stage Carpenter and Mechanist – Drew Harding Stage Manager – Christa Jonathan Assistant Stage Manager – Matilda Houlihan Marketing and Publicity – Erin Adams and Rémy Chadwick Photographer – Bonnie Leigh-Dodds Videographer – Greta Nash Front of House – Belinda Dalton Lighting Operator – Sara Kissel Graphic Design – Daga Mikolaj
Extra notes
Running time: 2 hrs 30 minutes, including interval